When you try to install watir 2.0.4, it will grab the latest version of the
win32-process gem (and other dependencies) unless you already have one
installed. Currently the win32-process gem is at version 0.7.0, which you
do not want. So the solution is to manually install a prior version of the
win32-process gem. I believe watir 2.0.4 was originally using win32-process
0.5.5, though I think you could use 0.6.6 as well.

I was able to get Watir 2.0.4 to install successfully (ie could launch and
close an IE browser) from a fresh Ruby 1.8.7 install by doing:

gem install win32-process -v 0.5.5
gem install watir -v 2.0.4

- Justin