I also ran into this yesterday. There was talk in
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wtr-development/2012-February/003541.html
about fixing watir-classic to be the same. Though it looks like it was not
implemented.

I think all you would need to do for watir-classic is change the style
method to:

# return the css style as a string
def style(property = nil)
    assert_exists
    if property
        ole_object.currentStyle.send(property)
    else
        ole_object.style.cssText

It would make watir-classic similar to watir-webdriver. Though I think you
would get different formats for some of the properties (example 'color').

Justin Ko