Just a wild guess, but are you running on 64-bit Windows 7? What version of
IEDriverServer.exe are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit?

IE, or any process, for that matter, can't load a cross-bitness .dll (an
ActiveX control is a .dll with some specific API endpoints built into it).
So if your ActiveX control is a 32-bit ActiveX control, you won't see it
when you start 64-bit IE. For the same reason, the "bitness" version of IE
that gets launched by IEDriverServer.exe (and therefore by watir-webdriver)
is determined by the "bitness" of the executable.

--Jim