hurrah found it, details posted below in case anyone else encounters the
same problem

ok, summarising from the top

installed ruby 2.0.0 using installer

from command prompt, > gem update --system

downloaded appropriate devkit
extracted devkit to c:\devkit
from command prompt, devkit folder, ruby dk.rb init
then ruby dk.rb install

from command prompt, gem install watir
from command prompt, gem install watir-webdriver

at this point I came to the halt which I originally posted

from command prompt, gem install watir-classic (my incorrect guess)
from command prompt, gem install watir watir-classic (taken from the link
you sent)

next to check if it worked

from command prompt,
>irb
DL is deprectaed, please use Fiddle
irb(main):001:0>require "watir"
LoadError: cannot load such file watir

When I view my gem list again as before, from a command prompt gem lst
my gem list appears as before, there is no watir gem listed, I'm assuming
there should be a watir gem listed in my gem list?

tried to install watir again and spotted an error message "Failed to build
gem native extension" along with a handy link :
nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html where I found another gem
to try

back to command prompt; gem install nokogiri
and try watir again; gem install watir

hurrah, both watir and watir-classic are now in my gem list, along with a
few more

from command prompt,
>irb
DL is deprectaed, please use Fiddle
irb(main):001:0>require "watir"
=>true

result!  thanks again for your input Željko