Now, after giving some thoughts about it - the way you try to solve it is
not best solution for your problem. I mean, automated tests should be
automated - if test does not fail then there should be any reason to look
at the reports. By making test pass and then looking at the screenshot
attached to the report to make sure that it really passed seems wrong.

Correct solution would be to test it on some lower level. For example, test
the data given to the Flot library. Best solution would be to use
JavaScript unit testing in that case, but you can also do it by using
Watir::Browser#execute_script by returning some JavaScript object back to
Ruby and then asserting there.

Jarmo Pertman
-----
IT does really matter - http://itreallymatters.net