On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:22:12 AM UTC-8, Philip Undisclosed wrote:

> Wondering if others are seeing this or if it's specific to my
> configuration.
>
> irb(main):003:0> b = Watir::Browser.new :firefox
> Selenium::WebDriver::Error::WebDriverError: unable to obtain stable
> firefox connection in 60 seconds (127.0.0.1:7055)
>         from c:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/selenium-webdriver-2.44.0
> /lib/selenium/webdriver/firefox/launcher.rb:79:in `connect_until_stable'
>

> Full stack trace: http://pastebin.com/YE46kYsz
>
> Firefox just updated to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:36.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0. I'm on Windows 8. Alas, from my cursory
> search, is seems that downgrading Firefox is strongly deprecated.

technically it did not break watir-webdriver.. that is nothing in that code
is broken.  Unfortunately a quick google search seems to indicate that
Firefox36 DID break Webdriver..  and since as you can likely guess from the
name, watir-webdriver uses webdriver to drive the browsers, it does mean
that until webdriver is fixed we are effectively 'broken' from the user's
perspective.. along with capybara, and any other gem or tool that uses
webdriver.

Your best route 'back' is probably to see if the latest Firefox ESR release
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/> still works.
that is easy to locate and download (where finding older regular FF
releases can be, um, fun.  For just the reason you are seeing, I tend to
stick to using the ESR release on things like Jenkins slaves or containers
that will be used to run tests.  I use that stuff for my automated testing,
for stability, but use current 'consumer' version for manual testing.
 (virtual machines are your friend)