Hi Doug
Wave is many things, and is useful in many ways. Everyone sees some subset
of its feature as the "core" features. I personally think that the
following features define Wave:

   1. Centralized model - everything is on the server. No fragmentation of
   information like in emails.
   2. Threaded conversations - structured blips model (essentially a tree)
   allows to discuss topics in the context. The regular chat model allows to
   discuss only one topic per time, it's impossible to reply to specific
   message with out explaining the context, i.e. @someuser Hi, in message $$##
   you talked about XYZ, so I think that you are wrong/right - in Wave you
   just create inline blip and reply directly in the context. Saves a lot of
   time, effort and space. What's more - you can give links to other blips, so
   you "link" instead of duplicating the information.
   3. Distributed - Federation allows to communicate with users on other
   servers.
   4. Augmented by robots and gadgets. Well, casual users hand no chance to
   experience how powerful Wave can become once augmented by custom
   extensions. There are so many possible uses, that I even don't know where
   to start. Robots and Gadgets allow wave to be anything. Registration forms,
   , integration of tasks and TODOs into the document, integration of other
   services like Twitter and Facebook, etc.. We didn't see too much of these,
   but that's only because the last version of the Robot APi existed for only
   about 4 months before GWave was discontinued.
   5. Email, chat and document in one place.

Now, you vision is totally legitimate as well, it just wrong to says that
there's are no other uses, or they are less important.
Regarding your proposal: Probably there are other platforms that can suit
you better. For example ShareJS provides simple to deploy and use OT engine.