Peter Hutterer wrote:
Thanks for testing this. I'm currently tempted to have the pad buttons
(that's the terminology we use in the xorg wacom driver, so let's use it
here too) should have a separate focus, and a separate event. so the
interface expands to:

wl_tablet::proximity in
         ::proximity out
         ::button
         ::focus in
         ::focus out
         ::padbutton

where padbuttons always go to the focused surface. it is then up to the
compositor to implement the actual focus behaviour. it also makes it easy
for the client to distinguish between stylus buttons and pad buttons.
Not sure I understand. I think I agree with your description of how it works, but I feel it is sufficient for the pad buttons always go to the same surface that the pen clicks go to. Do you just mean that the pen has a different focus than the mouse? Or are you really proposing the the pad buttons may go to a different surface than pen clicks?