On 07/29/2014 03:03 PM, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

    "Another question for Manuel: Does present() interact with the
    surface commit? Should it?"
    Not in a way that I know of. From a compositor point of view,
    present() (when the user interacts to show) does only change the
    surface worskpace, stacking order, and focus. I doesn't trigger a
    commit, or at least it's unwanted. I think it can be compared to
    what happens when you cycle through windows with "Mod-Tab" and
    choose one.

Given that it's not supposed to be directly tied to a specific
compositor action, that's probably best.  I just wanted to make sure you
were thinking about this and had a reason.

Actually any such requests from the desktop shell need to go through the client before they are reacted to. What clicking on the indicator should do is send an "activate" event (or something like that) to the client.

The client can then change it's graphics to indicate that it is activated, and do a commit. This will also cause any rearrangement of the window layers. Thus the appearance and reordering of the surfaces will be simultaneous with the graphics changes.