On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 05:24:35AM -0400, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hey
>
> Just to make it clear, as a foreword to my comments inline below, I am not
> against the patch, far from it, I just wanted to make sure we considered edge
> values instead of only "no shadow", and we also considered other draw states.
>
> If we considered and dismissed them, fine.

They are not "actively" considered in this patch, but as I mentioned
earlier, I think tiling states can later be added to the window state
enum.

> For reference, this reminds me of the windows' semantics in EWMH. Before
> EWMH, apps would use Motif MWM hints to specify if they wanted to have
> borders, title, buttons, etc. With EWMH, apps would rather advertise a type
> of window (dialog, menu, etc.), and the WM would decide how to decorate them,
> so it would be a lot more consistent between apps. I still prefer the EWMH
> approach to the MWM hints ^_~
>
> Back to the topic...

As said in the other mail, personally I'd be fine with dropping range
allocation and requiring toolkits etc to add their own enums and
configure events.

> > Either way, semantically, the result will be identical. Personally I
> > don't care much whether per DE state enum entry allocations are to be
> > the current way or or in an extensions really with its own configure
> > event. Removing alloctions it from xdg_ would only an inconvenience to
> > do the exact same thing.
> >
> > Just to repeat, the purpose of range allocations is to DE:s to make use
> > of the already present configure/ack_configure and now set_available_...
> > parts, but with their own private (not part of xdg_) integers, without
> > the issues of introducing any incompatibilities with other toolkits and
> > compositors. None of these private entries would ever be added or
> > referenced in xdg_shell.
>
> Precisely, the point is that it defeats the purpose of a "standard" which is,
> by definition, aimed to be shared between different implementations.
>
> > > At the moment, You proposal just address the issue of the shadow, thus a
> > > simple set_no_shadow event should be enough ?
> >
> > The reason for having a "draw state" besides "window state" (the state
> > we already have) is so that we have one state that is properly
> > negotiated. The window state is not negotiated; a compositor will just
> > add states it thinks the client should know about, but doesn't care much
> > whether the client changed its drawing in any way.
> >
> > For draw states, the purpose of adding an entry is for when the
> > compositor actually cares. Shadows is one such thing, because as far as
> > I know for example KDE intends to draw its own server side shadows, and
> > could use a "no shadow" draw state to figure out whether it is possible.
>
> OMG SSD! :) In this case you'd need "no border" and "no title bar" as well.

I imagine such entries could be added to the draw state enum indeed. I
also will assume such entries will stay unused by for example the
default weston desktop shell and mutter, but thats another story.

Jonas