Hey,

I'll just reiterate one point from the prior discussion.

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 08:13:15 -0400
> Drew DeVault <s...@cmpwn.com> wrote:
>
> > Good feedback.
> >
> > On 2018-04-09 11:09 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > > Does this name correspond to the physical connector or to the
> > > specific
> > > monitor connected? Or some abstract "output" concept, see the
> > > next
> > > paragraph about clone mode.
> >
> > Doesn't matter, whatever the compositor wants. Should be unique to
> > each
> > wl_output.
>
> If it is unique to each wl_output, then it is referring to either a
> connector or a monitor, ok.
>
> > > [...] Would xdg_outputs for the cloned wl_outputs report
> > > identical
> > > names to signify they in fact always show the exact same image?
> >
> > No.
>
> This is consistent with the above, good.
>
> > > Is this name intended to be stable and persistent, so that
> > > applications
> > > can expect to save it in a config and find the same one later,
> > > after a
> > > machine reboot, at least if the configuration of that output has
> > > not
> > > changed and the compositor is still the same version?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> But if it is undefined whether the name refers to a connector or a
> monitor, would that not cause problems for apps to decide how to use
> it?
>
> If a user unplugs one monitor and then plugs in a different monitor
> the same connector, should the name change or stay the same?
>
> If the name is defined to stay the same, the app can look at
> wl_output
> make/model to see if the monitor is different.
No, this does not work. Having multiple instances of the same make and
model is common in desktop multi-monitor setups. The app has no option
to recognize specific ones as long as there is no serial number or
other additional identifier involved that is not currently part of the
wl_output and xdg_output info.