On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:31:39 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutte...@who-t.net> wrote:

> [...]

> > > do
> > > that.
> >
> > But wait, if there are actually devices that report the range [n:m] but
> > can still send values less than n or greater than m, it means I cannot
> > transmit those with the encoding set up here, because
> > libinput_event_touch_get_x_transformed(touch_event, 1) can return
> > values outside of [0, 1] even when the loaded calibration matrix is
> > identity. Is that right?
>
> correct, that can happen.
>
> > Do I need to find an encoding to cope with that, or can I just reject
> > such touches?
> >
> > I mean, the range [n:m] is in raw input coordinates, before any
> > normalization or calibration in userspace, right?
>
> uhm. let me just detail this and you can pick which one was the answer to
> that question:
> - the kernel exposes [n:m] axis ranges for ABS_X/Y and the MT equivalents
> - libinput converts this into mm by default, see libinput_event_touch_get_x()
> - libinput converts this to a ranged value [0:N] when calling
>   libnput_event_touch_get_x_transformed(N). This is what weston uses to get
>   the screen coordinates.
>
> Both libinput values have the calibration factored in already.
>
> Weston doesn't ever see raw input coordinates. But if you use
> get_x_transformed, you can get values outside [0:N]. This happens when
> the [n:m] range is incorrect. Accommodating for some error margin, libinput
> will print a warning to the log when this happens.
>
> The correct solution would be to warn the user that the device is garbage
> and make them put a 60-evdev.hwdb quirk in to fix the axis ranges.
> Depending on the device, this could be a generic solution but let's not bet
> on that...
>
> The user-friendly solution would be to have two layers of mapping. By
> default, you map the libinput range into [0, 1]. Whenever you see negative
> values or values > 1 you notify the user that this screen is garbage. The
> only option you have now is to get the user to touch the furthest extents of
> all axes to get the lowest and highest values the axis provides (similar to
> the touchpad-edge-detector tool). Then you can map those into the libinput
> provided range so that e.g. libinput's -0.25 is normalized 0 and 1.25 is
> normalized 1.0.
>
> Now you can restart calibration with that extra mapping on top.
>
> A few caveats, beyond the effort required:
> - even with the calibration matrix applied, the libinput ranges will still
>   be outside the [0:N] range. Only a real axis fix can fix that
> - you cannot know the true min/max until you get respective event from the
>   screen
>
> So yeah, the situation is less than ideal...
>
> I've considered auto-scaling libinput into the new axis range but this is
> likely going to hurt even more because it's undiscoverable and for most
> devices, a quirk in the hwdb file can solve this problem properly.

Thank you very much for the thorough explanation.

I think the appropriate solution for me here is to check whether the
normalized value I expect to be in [0, 1] falls outside of the range,
and if so, I will a) print a warning in Weston's log that the device
may need a quirk like you explained, and b) send the "invalid touch"
event instead of a touch event to the calibrator app.

This makes the calibrator app show a big red cross, so the user will
know something is strange if he thinks he did touch the correct spot.

Well, it does touch-downs at least. I think if motion event would end
up out of range, I'll send cancel event followed by invalid touch.
Whee, I found use for the cancel event!

> > > These devices are a problem because we rely on the coordinate range for
> > > the
> > > size and then on the calibration on top to normalize the input. So they
> > > may
> > > need two fixes, one for the range adjustment, one for calibration.
> >
> > If I can just transmit whatever values I get for "normalized" with
> > identity in the above, then the calibration matrix will automatically
> > account for any out-of-range values - I mean they become a non-issue,
> > because the compositor just tranforms them to the output or a global
> > coordinate system first and then clips to the actual output area. Or
> > doesn't clip, makes no difference.

> > > libinput will sort-of punt it back :)
> > > https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tablet-support.html#tablet-bounds
> > >

> > I don't see a problem in that section. The goal of this calibration is
> > to match input event coordinates to output pixel coordinates in the
> > complete pipeline by adjusting the normalized calibration matrix in
> > libinput. It's ok for calibrated input coordinates go beyond any
> > limits, the input and output coordinate planes can be thought as
> > infinite.
> >
> > Or do you refer to the functions returning positions in millimeters? I
> > never looked at those, they're not used with touchscreens. I don't even
> > know if a calibration matrix affects them.
>
> There's a corner-case with touchscreens and mm. Plenty of cheap touchscreens
> don't have a resolution set, so the mm value is calculated using the default
> resolution of 1.
>
> The calibration matrix is applied to the mm as well. That's largely a
> side-effect for the matrix originally being used for rotation rather than
> scaling or translation.

Right. If someone needs this calibration method to work on devices that
user by millimeter units, I'll let them figure out what to fix if
anything. :-)

Thanks,
pq