On 27 June 2018 at 12:42, Guido Günther <a...@sigxcpu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:30:40AM +0100, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> On 26 June 2018 at 19:40, Guido Günther <a...@sigxcpu.org> wrote:
>> > Some modeline generators put out e.g. +HSync instead of +hsync. Accept
>> > that too since it's not ambigous.
>> >
>> Hmm which generator is that? The cvt one, given as an example seems to
>> produce lowercase ones.
>
> The xorg.conf manpage uses +HSync and a calculator generating just that is
>
>   https://arachnoid.com/modelines/

You are right, xorg.conf does list the camelcase instances. At the
same time nearly anything in that file is case insensitive.

> and I don't see why doing this case insensitive would hurt anyone and
> make things less error prone for users.
Yes it is trivial and more importantly it's not my call to make [as I
mentioned earlier].

Having "modeline" and "less error prone" in the same context is an
interesting oxymoron.
Instead of having a per display server modelines, a more consistent
and robust solution is to utilise the kernel command line [1] or via a
custom edid blob [2].

HTH
Emil

[1] video=... see the format