On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:46:02 -0500
nerdopolis <bluescreen_aven...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:55:15 AM EST Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:17:32 +0200
> > Pekka Paalanen <ppaala...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > do you actually have a use case for that? It's ok if you do, we can
> > > keep it around for some more, but the simple fact that some hardware
> > > exists that does not have a working DRM driver is not enough. There
> > > should be users too.
> > >
> > > The fbdev-backend certainly has its shortcomings, and I don't mean just
> > > the lack of multi-output or monitor hotplug or GPU acceleration or
> > > tearing or timings based on nothing but timers; I recall VT-switching
> > > being broken for years now, and it doesn't (cannot?) use logind to open
> > > the FB devices. Did I forget some?

> Hi
>
> Well, TBH, It's just my quazi-distribution Live CD that I still maintain...
> It falls back to the Framebuffer on systems (or seats) that don't have
> Kernel Mode Setting. The number of users now probably is low...

Right. Would you be able to do a test? Disable fbdev on your distro and
see if anyone complains?

In fact, would be nice if all distributions did that test. I'm not in
that much hurry to delete the backend yet.

> VT switching works great. It works without weston-launch, and I can switch
> away
> to a second instance of Weston using the Framebuffer, without them stepping on
> each other, and I can switch back to the original one, and it continues
> working
>
> I do have to create a udev file that sets
> SUBSYSTEM=="graphics", KERNEL=="fb*", TAG+="uaccess"
> though...

Yes, that rule or similar is required because logind does not deal fb
devices IIRC and Weston certainly doesn't ask.

Are you relying on logind or running Weston privileged to have VT
switching working?

It's been a long time since I tried VT-switching with fbdev, but it
didn't work with logind back then:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/issues/78
Could it have been fixed in logind instead?

Thanks,
pq