On 11/20/19 12:12 PM, Scott Anderson wrote:
On 21/11/19 12:03 am, Martin Stransky wrote:
Hi guys,

what happens and is it a correct behavior when application does not use wl_frame_callback at all and just do the drawing (wl_surface_commit) whatever it has a data do draw?

I know it may be sub-optimal to draw more frequently but I'd need to cache the visual data elsewhere otherwise so it easier for me to just put it at compositor instead to store it offscreen and then copy it to wl_buffer when wl_frame_callback comes.

Thanks,
ma.

Hi

It's perfectly legal in the protocol to commit whenever you want to. The frame event is just a suggestion. Nothing is stopping anyone from rendering and committing at 1000 frames per second, other than people asking you to stop being so wasteful.

Wayland uses the "mailbox" model (this is Vulkan terminology), so the compositor will just use whatever the current commit is at the time it does its composition.

So do you mean in this scenario:

-- composition
---- commit A
---- commit B
---- commit C
-- composition

only 'commit C' is painted and A/B are lost?

Martin

Scott

Martin Stransky
Software Engineer / Red Hat, Inc