On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 10:45, Simon Ser <cont...@emersion.fr> wrote:

> On Monday, July 17th, 2023 at 09:30, Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > I'm worried what might happen with old user-space, especially old libdrm.
> >
> > I also share the same concern. Although the bigger issue is not libdrm
> > - since we can update it and prod distributions to update it.
> > The biggest concern is software that cannot be rebuild/updated -
> > closed source and various open-source that has been abandoned.
>
> Well. Now that we have Flatpak and AppImage and friends, we're really likely
> to have old libdrm copies vendored all over the place, and these will stick
> around essentially forever.

The flatpak devs have been very helpful. So I'm pretty sure we can get
those updated - even for older flatpaks.
For AppImage, I have no experience.

> > For going forward, here is one way we can shave this yak:
> >  - update libdrm to max 64 nodes
> >  - roll libdrm release, nag distributions to update to it // could be
> > folded with the next release below
> >  - update libdrm to use name driven type detection
> >  - roll libdrm release, nag distributions to update to it
> >  - once ^^ release hits most distributions, merge the above proposed
> > kernel patch
> >    - the commit message should explain the caveats and fixed libdrm version
> >    - we should be prepared to revert the commit, if it causes user
> > space regression - fix (see below) and re-introduce the kernel patch
> > 1-2 releases later
>
> That sounds really scary to me. I'd really prefer to try not to break the
> kernel uAPI here.

With part in particular? Mind you I'm not particularly happy either,
since in essence it's like a controlled explosion.

> The kernel rule is "do not break user-space".

Yes, in a perfect world. In practice, there have been multiple kernel
changes breaking user-space. Some got reverted, some remained.
AFAICT the above will get us out of the sticky situation we're in with
the least amount of explosion.

If there is a concrete proposal, please go ahead and sorry if I've
missed it. I'm supposed to be off, having fun with family when I saw
this whole thing explode.

Small note: literally all the users I've seen will stop on a missing
node (card or render) aka if the kernel creates card0...63 and then
card200... then (hard wavy estimate) 80% of the apps will be broken.

HTH
Emil