On Monday, October 23rd, 2023 at 10:25, Simon Ser <cont...@emersion.fr> wrote:

> > > Well with the patches the async page-flip case is exactly the same as
> > > the non-async page-flip case. In both cases, if a FB_ID is included in
> > > an atomic commit then the side effects are triggered even if the property
> > > value didn't change. The rules are the same for everything.
> >
> > I see it only checking if FB_ID changes or not. If it doesn't
> > change then the implication is that the side effects will in
> > fact be skipped as not all planes may even support async flips.
>
> Hm right. So the problem is that setting any prop = same value as
> previous one will result in a new page-flip for asynchronous page-flips,
> but will not result in any side-effect for asynchronous page-flips.
>
> Does it actually matter though? For async page-flips, I don't think this
> would result in any actual difference in behavior?

To sum this up, here is a matrix of behavior as seen by user-space:

- Sync atomic page-flip
  - Set FB_ID to different value: programs hw for page-flip, sends uevent
  - Set FB_ID to same value: same (important for VRR)
  - Set another plane prop to same value: same
  - Set another plane prop to different value: maybe rejected if modeset
required
- Async atomic page-flip
  - Set FB_ID to different value: updates hw with new FB address, sends
    immediate uevent
  - Set FB_ID to same value: same (no-op for the hw)
  - Set another plane prop to same value: ignored, sends immediate uevent
    (special codepath)
  - Set another plane prop to different value: always rejected

To me sync and async look consistent.