Dan,
I wondered if anyone else had seen that.  Apparently you and I were watching
the same movie at the same time!
Later that evening on AMC "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was on (fantastic
movie!) and our own Aunt Bee and, in an uncredited roll as Mr. Krull, was our
own choirmaster, John Masters (Olan Soule).  Mr Soule had one of those great
voices that really turned my head.  Even when he loaned his voice on the
animated series "Superfriends" back in the 70s I still see John Masters
commenting on Gomer's voice.

-Paul
Just down the street from the 'Y' in Raleigh