Paul Mulik, you beat everything. I had watched this episode more than once
and never even thought that they might be listening to the radio instead of
watching TV. In episodes where the radio/phonograph is used. (I can remember
two episodes off the top of my head, One where the fun girls turn on the
radio in Andy's house and one where Opie is playing some records) It has
always been located to the right of the door that leads to the kitchen from
the living room. Right there in the corner. The TV was located closer to the
front door underneath one of those windows that face the front porch.

In the House Guest episode at the end of the Boy and his dog show, Andy
clearly walks over to the corner of the room near the kitchen door and turns
off the radio.
One way that you can be sure is that he reaches down in a vertical motion to
switch off the set. If he had been reaching to turn off the TV he would have
used a horizontal motion since the knobs on the TV faced the front of the
set and didn't face straight up like the radio did.

This also explains why the Taylors couldnt figure out what happened on the
episode.
If it had been a TV episode even if Gomer was talking they still could have
seen the video part of the episode and pretty much known what happened. But
with radio they couldnt hear the episode due to Gomers talking.

Well thats my Theory.....

Dapper Dan