MAYBERRY ON MAIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm sorry you got the impression that Don Knotts' hometown pulled the plug
on the Barney Fife statue in Mayberry, because it isn't true.  The Barney
Fife statue was not allowed to happen because CBS television officials, who
initially gave Tom Hellenbrand the go ahead, found out that Don's widow,
Francey Yarborough, had not given her approval.  Ms. Yarborough, who lives
in Los Angeles, didn't want the Barney statue erected, but preferred a
statue to honor Don, the man, in his hometown, Morgantown, West Virginia.
She wants him remembered for the man and actor he was, not just one
character he portrayed.  She has generously donated many of Don's scripts
and other mementos to West Virginia University, his alma mater.

Here's a link to the website for the statue fund with a prototype of the
statue.  Please note, he's holding a sheriff's deputy's badge in his right
hand and script in his left recalling the years he played Deputy Barney
Fife.  Ms. Yarborough has approved this statue.  A garden is also to be
created where the statue will be displayed on Morgantown's waterfront.

http://www.donknottsstatuefund.com/

Mementos from a personal collection is currently on display at the Greater
Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau and there is a desire to establish
a museum that permanently displays the mementos.  Personally, I'll always
love Barney the best and wish Morgantown had more about this character of
Don's to proudly display.  Ms. Yarborough has given many mementoes from "The
Andy Griffith Show" to Emmett Forrest of Mount Airy.

I'm a tour operator who's developing a Don Knotts hometown tour of
Morgantown.

JoAnn Peterson, MBA

Mountaineer Country Tours, LLC

P.O. Box 54