It would be hard for anyone to follow Don Knotts' Barney, but I think Warren
  was a funny character that fit in well with Mayberry and its folk.  His
interactions
  with Goober reminded me of the comical scenes that Barney and Gomer had.

  But I am very glad that Jerry Van Dyke didn't stay on as a cast member.
  I found him very annoying in Mayberry... and in the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

  I am sorry Warren left so soon.  They could have done a lot more with his
  character storywise.

  Why did he leave so soon... sorry if I missed this in the digests .

  Silvia, in California