Reading Mr.Dallman's(hope I spelled it right) recounting of his childhood
should make all of us thankful that had a chance to grow up in any
Mayberry-like communities.I grew up in Varnville,SC,a very small town in much
the same vein as Mayberry. I live ou in the rural area from town and going in
on the weekends to shop was a real treat.We had our version of Wally's,called
Hammie's and our "Otis" was also part of the "colorful" characters that I
remember.I won't mention his name out of respect for his family.We always went
to church on Sunday and spent Sunday pm visiting with relatives and
friends,something that seldom happens now.We still have the drugstore that
still will sell you an orangeade or lemonade make from scratch.The pharmacists
in town know their customers by name along with the family members and "ask
after"them when you come in.
  Sadly,too many children have not had these wonderful experiences and my heart
grows heavy with that thought.Those of us who have,should thank the good Lord
above that He saw fit to put us as near to Mayberry as we could get and as for
those with less pleasant childhood memories,isn't it great to have TAGS and
this fantastic forum to experience.
  I'll put up my soap box and hush now.

You're a bird in this world-Andy Griffith
Nancy