***>>>Hypothetically, who would Andy choose to defend if Helen unfairly gave 
Opie 
double the future homework if he done his homework the night before?<<<

I think if Opie had done his homework, yet didn't raise his hand to show that 
he 
DID do it, Andy would defend Helen.***

What would the point be for Opie not raising his hand?  I don't think he'd work 
all night on 
something and give up quality TV/playing time, then blow off his own hard work 
just out of peer 
pressure. All Opie had to do to state his case anyway was simply show or turn 
in his completed 
homework. Even if Opie did fail to raise his hand out of peer pressure and Andy 
backed up the 
"double homework," I think he would still send a note to Helen saying her 
handling was rather 
harsh. 

I think Andy would decide in Opie's favor. Remember, he got into the whole mess 
with 
Helen in the first place because Opie complained about all he had to learn and 
Andy sided with 
him.  He may have screwed up in the past (gung ho to punish and yell at Opie 
before realizing 
he, say, was taking stuff back to the sporting goods store to return the man's 
wallet money) but 
in this one, just the evidence of the completed homework would be really tough 
for Helen to 
overcome, and her argument, if she stuck to it, would likely be pure emotion.  
More likely 
she'd back down if Opie did, indeed, do his homework.  I can't imagine her 
knowingly punishing 
someone who did their homework as ordered, or sticking by such punishment, 
because it would 
send the message that doing the right thing is worthless. Most like the "all 
the boys get double
homework" thing was a rash decision by a young teacher, and as we've all 
discussed, Helen is 
prone to a fault to rash judgments and reactions.

By the way we used to have a teacher back in elementary school who constantly 
punished boys more 
often than girls, and once made all the boys write sentences for being "too 
loud during P.E." 
(we were outside at the time we were "so loud").  The girls got to watch a film 
and weren't 
allowed to discuss it with us.  Years later I found out the film was a hygiene 
film explaining 
a "change of life" young girls would go through, and the PE teacher just wanted 
the boys out of 
the way and punishment was the only thing she could think of.  So I wander if 
surreptiously 
punishing boys for being boys was a common thing back in the '60s and '70s?

Dixon



 

_______________________________________________
WBMUTBB mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/wbmutbb/

Reply via email to