There were no inconsistencies on the show. This is a situation comedy, in
which the players can play different parts under different names if the show is

writ that way. Like, Howard was not always Howard. Ernest T was not always
Ernest T. Mrs. Mendlebright was also Big Maude, as those situations called for
them to be that.
Had the show been a serial comedy, all players would have remained the same
throughout. That is the difference between a serial and a situation comedy.
I do hope that flipped the light switch and everyone can now see the
difference!
Whatever they do or did, what other show had such staying power through the
years? It must not have made any difference what they called themselves!!
See you at Mayberry! This will be our 11th consecutive trip and this one  may
be kinda wet!
Welford the Camera nuttttt......