>>>Just watched "Opie the Birdman" and was puzzled over the fact that the
>>>entire episode was lacking a laugh track, even prior to Opie's tragic
>>>killing of the mama bird. The beginning scene in the courthouse had a
>>>comical interchange where Barney cautioned Opie not to stick his tongue out,
>>>then does it himself-no audience laughter! Has anyone else noticed this?<<<

Were you watching this on DVD, Eric?  If so, you must have the initial
printings of the Season Four set that were missing laugh tracks on two of the
discs.  This was brought up on the digest shortly after Season Four was
released.  Paramount, to rectify the situation ("We got ourselves a
situation!"), offered to replace these discs with discs containing the laugh
tracks.  I took advantage of this because I found it rather disconcerting
(having been conditioned to hear the laughter, canned though it may be) to
watch the shows without the tracks.  As I recall, I just had to write Paramount
a letter requesting the replacement discs and include the proof-of-purchase
from the box.

Thelma Lou
(Janet)