> Neil brought up the Choir Robes/Church foundation/pool table episode and
> that one has had me thinking lately.  As background, I'll admit my
> preference for the B&W TAGS episodes and the fact that Aunt Bee (boy I'll
> probably get hate mail for this) has never been on of my favorite
> charactors.
>
> I saw this episode recently on my local station and was struck by what I
> perceived to be a very un-Christian form of blackmail used by the ladies of
> the church choir.  While the physical foundation of their church building
> was in danger, they were more worried about how they looked when they sang.
>  They even added the selfish threat of "If we don't get our robes, we'll no
> longer sing".  That just seemed real childish to me and very un-Mayberry
> like.  I know this was towards the end of the series and maybe the writers
> were getting low on ideas, but because of the ladies' attitudes, this has
> always been one of my least favorite episodes.
>
> Does anyone else feel the same, or is it just me???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME YOU REALLY DON'T LIKE AUNT BEE YOU SHOULD BE SO ASHAMED
TO CALL YOURSELF AN ANDY GRIFFITH FAN AND BLAH BLAH ...

Okay, okay, just joking. We all have our favorite and "less favorite"
characters.

Regarding "The Church Benefactors" (for some reason I always jokingly refer
to this episode as "The Church Benefactorism"), I always think the same
thing as you when I watch it: the members of the choir aren't acting very
charitable or selfless. In spite of that, though, I still like the episode a
lot---especially Howard "looking above" while sitting in the church service.

As for Neil's original question, I'm going to have to give it a bit more
thought.

--a deceitful wretch hiding out in Oxford, Ohio (the Nashville of the North)