In addition to some of the real-life people others have mentioned, I thought
of:

- William Holden (who Goober has probably since forgotten was the actual
male lead in Picnic)
- William Shakespeare (Not sure if he was actually mentioned, though Andy
told Opie about a few of the Bard's plays)
- Paul Revere ("Get your guns, we gonna have us a revolution!")
- King David (in "Opie the Birdman," I believe; Goliath may have been
mentioned as well)
- Frank Sinatra (didn't a girl flatter Barney by comparing him to Sinatra?
Maybe in "Prisoner of Love"?)
- John D. Rockefeller (I can think of at least one mention, by Goober in
"Guest in the House," though it is just to any of the wealthy Rockefellers
in general)
- Wyatt Earp
- Robert E. Lee (who has a natural bridge named after him)
- also, in the early minutes of "Aunt Bee on TV," when the Taylors return
home, Goober flips through Opie's autograph book---anyone know if those
names belong to real people?

There are also at least two real people whose existence is implied: Henry
Ford and James Smithsonian.

-a deceitful wretch hiding out in Oxford, Ohio (the Nashville of the North)

I always figured Mayberry was set in the late 50's-early 60's by the cars