In a message dated 6/7/2010 11:01:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
wbmutbb-requ...@wbmutbb.com writes:

As I was  trying to shoooo him away the thought came to me that I've never
seen a bug in  Mayberry. I remember someone writing in that they've never
seen a cat there  either.

I don't remember them actually showing a bug (not a closeup of one anyway),
 but there is that classic moment from "The Pickle Story" where Barney
waves his  hand at the pickle and says "Shoo fly, shoo!" then abruptly stops
and
says,  "He's dead!"

As for cats, remember the neighbor's cat could be heard meowing at a time
Opie was raising the baby birds.  The sound of the cat set off a panic that
resulted in the birds being moved to a cage.

Dixon