Although my job title is Copy Editor, I am indeed an old-fashioned proofreader,
in the financial services industry. I spend my days proofing investment
prospectuses and correcting some incredibly huge spelling & grammatical
mistakes made by highly-educated attorneys and accountants (particularly the
bean counters!). The gross errors you mention finding in books nowadays also
make me crazy. And what about the ticker scrolls at the bottom of all the TV
news channels? I can't begin to tell you how constantly I see spelling errors
there, esp. when I make the mistake of trying to watch Fox News. Their news
scrolls are almost as unprofessional to read as Shepherd whatshisname is to
listen to!

I guess you can tell I feel pretty passionate on the subject. But, as Adrian
Monk would say, "It's a blessing and it's a curse". I'm just unable to turn off
my editor's mode, so I sometimes make myself crazy because I can't stop finding
the mistakes even when I'm off-duty, as it were!

HistoryBuff