We just returned from our trip to Mayberry Days. It was a great celebration of
the show and the past 50 years on TV. Everything was just great for a real
Mayberry fan - the dinner and entertainment at the country club, the mayor's
proclamation ceremony, the shopping, the Dillards,the VW Boys, the parade, the
museum, Floyd's, Snappy Lunch, Mrs. Wiley Tea Party, Col. Tims Talent Show,
etc., etc., etc., etc., even the weather. There was so much to see and do that
it really kept us hopping all day long. Of course the main events were the
stars who traveled long distances to be with us. They looked like they were
really enjoying themselves and they were more than gracious in giving
autographs and talking with everyone. Barney, Floyd, Howard, etc. truly added a
great flavor and realistic charactarizations to almost every event. There were
a LOT more people there than in "normal" years, which was great to see. I have
been to about 14 Mayberry celebrations and this one ranks up there with the
best. My wife, who has only gone to a couple of them and tolerates my Mayberry
hobby, even commented that it gave her a better appreciation for why I like the
show and Mayberry Days so much. Now that's saying something.
We had decided to take some vacation time in conjunction with our 8 hour drive
to Mt. Airy and went on to Charleston, South Carolina for some R&R. While there
and tourning the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown ( which was awsome), they were
having a convention of the USA's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients. The
medal is the highest award possible for a member of our military in combat. We
saw many of the recipiants, the ceremony and even got an autograph from General
Patrick Brady on his book that he has written. I learned about getting
autographs from attending so many Mayberry Days events.
I have no idea how the Surry Arts Council can top this year's celebration, but
I look forward to next year's to find out.What a GREAT trip. - The Gollywobbler