Neil, I collected baseball and football cards.  Never liked the Jets or the 
gum.  The gum was hard and brittle and had a bad taste, but my sister loved 
it.  
I always gave it to her.  At Easter, my sister would get a basket of assorted 
Easter candies, I'd get a basket with a whole box of baseball cards.  I always 
wanted to stay home from church so I could open them all, but that never flew.
  
Dewey, You are great for jogging our memories. I have heard most of the sayings 
you listed and would like to add a couple more I used to hear.
  
  He's ugly as a mud fence.
  He couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a.
  He's so skinny, the only curve in his body is his adam's apple.
  He's a few bricks shy of a load.
    
One I always remember from my grandmother.  This was a lady who was a faithful 
and devoted member of the Church of the Brethren who never went inside a movie 
theater or uttered the word beer.  In her refridgerator she would sometimes 
have 
"root drink".  My grandmother never said a cross word or got mad at anyone.  If 
we spilled a glass of milk or a bowl of sugar on the floor, she would always 
say 
in a kind and loving tone, "That just frets me so I don't know what to do". 
That's one I'll always remember.
  
I heard a lady author on John Boy and Billy a couple of years ago who had 
written a book about talking southern.  She said in the south you can say 
anything you want about someone and as long as you ended it with "bless his/her 
heart", it was okay.  She said thing likes, "She's such a tramp, bless her 
heart", just don't sound mean.  I guess there are always different ways of 
looking at things.  They would say things on TAGS that with the accents and the 
context just didn't sound bad.  Things like Barney's line about the quail or 
the 
lady who'se ankles were too skinny to hold up all that heft just don't sound 
mean or hurtful.  You gotta love the south.
  
Harry in Salem, VA 


      
_______________________________________________
WBMUTBB mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/wbmutbb/

Reply via email to