One of my favorite James Best roles is one he plays in "In the Heat of the
Night"   He plays a retired officer from probably the 40's who along with a
raciest sheriff and some other deputies of the time killed a black man for
driving a car above his station.  Years later the current police department are
investigating unofficially the death and question him.  He sits everyday in the
local park reading the bible.  As it turns out, that park used to be woods and
the black mans body is buried there.  He is keeping watch out of remorse for
his part in the killing.  It is my favorite, "In the Heat of the Night" episode.

Johnna
Fayetteville, AR