This discussion of how Don Knotts is best remembered (as Barney, of course!)
got me to thinking about his role as Ralph Furley.  I should preface this by
saying that though I watched "Three's Company" some, I was never a fan of the
show.  Anyway, I saw enough of it to formulate an opinion about the character
of Ralph Furley, and there is really no comparison with the character of Barney
Fife.

There are various factors that come into play in creating a character--the
quality of writing, the actor's interpretation of the role, one-camera setup
without an audience (like TAGS) vs. filming before a live audience (like TC),
the interplay with the other actors, the producer's vision of the show,
etc.--and I'm sure these all had an impact on the characters of Ralph Furley
and Barney Fife.  But, to me, Barney Fife is head-and-shoulders above Ralph
Furley as a successful, enduring, and endearing character.  Barney had his
excesses and eccentricities, but he still managed to come across as a
well-rounded, fully developed character and, hence, believable.  He could be
impulsive, outrageous, and brash, but he could also be kind, tenderhearted, and
vulnerable.  We see his failings and his strengths as well.  We see his
relationships with the people he loved, the people who loved him back.  And, of
course, Don Knotts was a genius in how he played the role.  Could you envision
anyone else as Barney Fife?  I don't think so!  Don became Barney.  Ralph
Furley, on the other hand, was a one-dimensional character.  Actually, I felt
he was more of a caricature than a character.  Instead of Don Knotts playing
Ralph Furley, it was almost like Barney Fife was playing Furley.  I don't mean
that in any way to disparage Don, who was a wonderful actor.  Rather, I suspect
the producers of the show intended Don to play it that way.  Furley was there
for laughs, but that's all.  But Barney?  We laugh at him and cry with him.  He
can irritate us one moment, and we are moved with compassion for him the next.
He's unlike anyone else, yet we can all think of someone he reminds us of.  He
gets under our skin and into our hearts.  He's our Barney, and there will never
be another!  Barney Fife will live on long after Ralph Furley is forgotten.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Thelma Lou
(Janet)