I spent some time this past weekend being interviewed by our local
newspaper and one of our TV stations.   I was also on one of the morning
local talk radio shows.  I submitted the following tribute to Andy which
will be printed in our newspaper this week.

For the past two years I have had the pleasure of traveling around west
central Wisconsin driving my 1965 Ford Galaxie replica Mayberry squad car
and dressing as Barney Fife. I have attended many classic car shows and
have participated in parades in many small towns as The Mayberry Guru.

I think it is only fitting that I share a few thoughts about the passing of
Andy Griffith.  In one of The Andy Griffith Show episodes, Deputy Barney
Fife said that Andy Taylor was the best friend Mayberry ever had.  I would
like to expand that thought by saying Andy Taylor was one of the best
friends America ever had.  Portraying Sheriff Andy Taylor, Andy Griffith
showed millions of viewers for five decades what is decent and right about
this great country.  The town of Mayberry and the character Andy Griffith
portrayed may have been fictitious, but the values they represented were
very real then and are very real today.

As I travel around the state in my squad car I get to talk with hundreds of
people and while doing so I have discovered an important truth. Many people
today are yearning to return to a time when life was much slower and
simpler.  They yearn for their children and grandchildren to be able to
grow up in a place like Mayberry where they can enjoy being children and
where they are not forced to grow up too fast.

I have also had the great privilege of giving my Mayberry Presentation to
over fifty groups all over Wisconsin and Minnesota.  People of all ages
share with me their love of the Andy Griffith Show and what an impact Andy
Griffith had on their lives through his portrayal of Sheriff Taylor.

I never had the honor of meeting Andy Griffith.  But if I would have met
him I would have said to him, “Thank you my friend.  Thank you for giving
us more than fifty years of great entertainment.  Thank you for showing us
what life is meant to be like.  Thank you for all the laughs and for all
the tears.”

Just because Andy Griffith is no longer with us, that does mean the end of
Mayberry.  Mayberry will live on in all the hearts that have come to love
that wonderful town and its wonderful people.  And thanks to modern
technology future generations will also be able to enjoy Andy Griffith, a
true icon of the entertainment industry.

--
Ken Anderson
The Mayberry Guru