I can think of two TAGS characters who made great promotions in employment.
 The first was Emmett Clark's brother in law Ben Meechum.  He first
appeared very early as a postal clerk when he and Barney were arguing over
wanted posters.  Then he appeared as Martha Clark's brother in law who
owned the Meechum Insurance Company in Raleigh.

The second one that comes to mind is good old Asa.  He began as a bank
guard and then went on to Weaver's as a night watchman, but eventually he
worked his way up to being a doctor who diagnosed Andy as having a flu bug..

I happen to know that Asa became a doctor after subscribing to the Learn a
Month magazine.  He had a lot of time to read when he was the bank guard
and night watchman.  Several issues were all about medicine.

Ken Anderson
The Mayberry Guru
2906 May Street
Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701