Speaking of smoking, even though Barney very seldom smoked on the show, Don
Knotts must have been quite the smoker in real life.   I have the Don Knotts
autobiography, and nowhere in it does Don mention that he has the smoking
habit, but if you watch the TAGS episode where Gomer takes Barney's place in
the choir, you will see it.   Near the end of the episode, Gomer and John
Masters are at the front of the hall rehearsing, and unknown to them Barney is
in the rear listening.   After they leave, Barney gets up and walks to the
front of the hall.  You can clearly see the outline of a pack of cigarettes in
his shirt pocket.   I remember there was at least one other episode where
Barney was carrying a pack of cigarettes around, but I forget which one.   So,
as I say, Don Knotts must have had the smoking habit to carry cigarettes around
when the script did not call for him to smoke.    I remember reading somewhere
that Andy was also a smoker for several years until health reasons forced h
 im to quit.

Orville Hendricks - Mount Pilot Butter and Egg Man.   Down at our local tag
office, there is a sign on the wall that says "If you are smoking in here, you
had better be on fire".