Several weeks ago I reached the seventh decade of life and to be perfectly
honest, I had a rather hard time accepting that fact.  However, my body has
a tendency to keep reminding me that I actually am 70 years old.  But then
reality returned  to me and I realized that I am such a fortunate person
because I can spend my time doing something that I really love.  There was
a time in my life, a long time ago, when I came very close to going
astray.  I was a confused young person with no goals or plan for my life.
Fortunately I met a couple of teachers who took me under their wing my
first year of college, and they virtually turned my life around.

When I first began watching TAGS when I was 14 years old, little did I
realize that 56 years later that quintessential town of Mayberry with all
its lovable citizens would have such an important impact on my life.  I had
no idea that because of an old black and white TV show, I would meet
virtually thousands of people over the years who would bring to my life so
much joy and satisfaction.

I was fortunate to have been a child during a time when I never even heard
about drugs.  I didn't know what it was like to lock the doors to our
house.  School was a place of safety where I spent time with my friends
learning new things and having fun.  I was naive enough  not to know that
there were dangerous people around who might hurt me.  My world was about a
ten square mile area and seldom did I ever venture outside my little world.

The rules we lived by were well defined.  We knew what we should do and
what we should not do.  There was little gray area and the pentameters of
behavior were quite stringent at home, in school, and when we were out in
public.  My family did not have much money at all and we had few
materialistic things.  But it really didn't bother me because most of my
friends were in the same situation.

I pray often prayers of thanks that I grew up when I did and where I did.

I think all the things I have mentioned are the reasons I love TAGS so
much.  I see so many things while watching TAGS that I have experienced in
my life and it makes me laugh and it makes me thankful.  But then I realize
that the young people of today will never experience the kind of life that
my friends and i had when we were young.  And that makes me sad.

One of the things I have learned over the years that I have been "The
Mayberry Guru" is that so many people today are searching for something.
They  are searching for a way of life without the hate, violence, mistrust,
and materialism that is so prevalent today.  I hear it all the time.  So
many say, "I wish I could live in a time and place like Mayberry".  But we
know that is impossible.  We cannot turn the clock back.

Each and everyone one of you folks here with the Digest are so important
and necessary.  Each one of you helps to keep TAGS and Mayberry alive.  We
can never go back to the way life once was.  And it was by no means
perfect, but it certainly was different.  So I want to say "Thank You' to
everyone of you for being a part of the Mayberry World that we live in.
Even though I have not met many of you personally, I consider you to be a
part of my  family.  My Mayberry family.  And for that I am very very
thankful.
Ken Anderson
The Mayberry Guru
2906 May Street
Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701
www.themayberryguru.com
www.mayberryreflections.com
_______________________________________________
WBMUTBB mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.wbmutbb.com/

Reply via email to