Subject: writer's blips

"Has anyone else noticed how very controlling Helen could be and that
Andy let her get away with it? I've been watching some color episodes
that I taped recently and found this disturbing as I feel it is out of
character for Andy. When she was first introduced to the show she was
rather a humble, lady-like woman. However, even tho Andy should've been
more forthright, in the episode where he had to confer with the lady
attorney in Raleigh, she is downright nasty and not the least bit
mindful about embarrassing Lee Drake and then very snide at the end.
Again, in the episode where she wants to get Howard and the new nurse
together, she is flat-out demanding and mean to Andy till he caves in.
And why didn't she reveal her scrape with the law in Kansas City to Andy
before he had to inadvertently discover it for himself? I feel these
instances were poor mistakes made by the writers fumbling for new
storylines.  Just my two cents worth.

Aunt Bee of Orlando"
I agree. Helen is my least favorite character on the show. She is not very
"Mayberry-like". Have you read the book "Andy and Don"? It appears that in real
life Andy allowed himself to be dominated by demanding women, including Aneta
Coursaut.
Randy of Sevierville