Nice report Allan.  I listened to the podcast too.  Sounds like a fun time.

I lived in Mount Airy from 1964 to 1972 and at that time, there was no
'Mayberry' themed influence in the town at all.  The Snappy Lunch was
there, of course, but it was not well-known that it had been mentioned
in the show.  Everyone knew that Andy had been born in Mount Airy, but
he seemed to make a conscious effort to distance the show from the
town and he seldom, if ever, visited.  There was a black and white
8X10 photo of Andy on the bulletin board of the local bus station;
that was the only Andy Griffith-related item in town at that time.

Jake Shepherd
Newnan GA