It was a number of years ago when my wife and I met Jim Nabors . . . not the usual expected sort of meeting.  Jim was performing at Denver's historic theatre in Elitch Gardens and we had arrived to enjoy the show, thrilled to be able to see him in person.   We pulled our car into a parking space near the theatre.   At that very moment, a small sports car convertible, top down, whizzed into the space immediately left of our car.  Out jumped a vivacious young man wearing a big smile from ear to ear.   It took a moment for our eyes and brains to register the reality:  The driver parking next to us was none other than Jim Nabors.  When we finally accepted that, we expected that he would ignore us and rush off to ready himself for the evening's show.   Not so.  Jim gave us his classic friendly greeting and stopped momentarily to chat, to ask how we were, and to inquire if we had come to see the show.   It was the strangest but most wonderful thing, for my wife and I immediately had a strong sense that this was someone we had known for a lifetime -- an old friend.   Needless to say, this encounter certainly heightened our enjoyment of his show later.  We had always appreciated Jim's acting and singing abilities, especially in his comic character on TAGS, but now we knew closeup that his friendliness and caring manner were genuine traits in his personal character.   We have never forgotten that brief moment of parking next to a star and near an old friend.   He was such a warm, personable, genuinely nice person, and we already miss him.    Rest in peace, dear friend Gomer.

Larry in CO

---