The distance between Mayberry and Richmond, VA is only one of many discrepancies on our favorite shows. The writers failed to investigate things, they repeated things, they changed things in later episodes; i.e. when Aunt Bee sold all her game-show prizes in order to pay the taxes she stated that she kept the tv and the garbage disposal yet in the later episode when she thought she lost Aunt Martha's pin, she stated that she hated giving up the garbage disposal and was going to buy one. It's obvious the writers never expected rabid fans such as we are to be viewing the shows 60 years later and latching onto their mistakes. I recognize them quite often but just say "c'est la vie!"

Aunt Bee of Orlando