I've named many pets and other animals for TAGS characters over the years.
I don't think it's odd (People sure are odd)....it's Therapetic. Possibly a Compelsion Complex (Listen, you find Compelsion nuts all over). I dunno...

Newton the cat (Newton Monroe)
Jubal the beagle (Jubal Foster...Juuuubal...Juuuuubal)
Leonard the Rooster (Leonard Blush..he's always crowing)
Jack the Black Lab (Black Jack Pershing, allegedly rode in Barney's sidecar across the Marne River during the battle of Chateau-Thierryin WWI, driven by Corporal Nate Jackson A.E.F.)

Currently I have 2 male cat brothers
Rafe (Rafe Hollister)
and
Ernie (Ernest T Bass)

I also have names for wildlife and neighbors pets I see regularly around my mountain

Hoadie the Racoon (Hoadie Snitch, seems like he's always trying to get away with something...very sneaky about getting into the trash and birdfeeders) Lucius, the Husky Dog (General Lucius Pyle, potentially related to Gomer; if one Pyle can make it, another'n can) A little wren lives in my wren house named Birdie Blush (Gomers fishing buddy) Virgil the Racoon, clumsy and he's always getting into some kinda fix. Got stuck in the gutter elbow last Halloween trying to get to the birdfeeders (Cousin Virgil)
Lucy the doe deer (Lucy Matthews)
Juanita the doe deer (Juanita Beasley)
Lily the doe deer (Lilly Becker, Quiet Sam Becker's wife)
Fletch the Bear (Fletch Roberts/Dillbeck)
Hogette the big sow Bear who visits with her cubs regularly (Hogette Winslow) Nat the Goat (Uncle Nat, uncle to Otis) A friends goat with an outstanding beard Grovely the squirrel, loves jumping off the roof onto the birdfeeders (Grovely Barch, spirit of the air) Idelle the doe deer (Idelle Bushy, Dud Wash's former sweetheart; and he ain't lost it all for her yet!) Nat the great horned owl (Nat Pike, who seems to know everything, even though he's only 4 years old; he may be young, but he's been around)

Ben (Rafe) in Bent Mountain VA