Hi Diane,

> I just bought Visual Studio.net

It's a *fantastic* IDE. I'm still getting to grips with it but I'm starting
to think it could well be the third thing I like that MS have done :-)

> ASP.net (supposedly) maintains session state
> much better, but it uses cookies to do so.

Sure, it needs to make sure the session ID is there for the next page.

> What about browsers that don't support cookies?

The site at where I work (http://www.witanjardine.co.uk/, and I didn't have
anything to do with it) is written in standard ASP, and if you visit it
without cookies, you just get a session ID automatically stuck on the end of
each URL. I imagine this is done automatically when IIS serves up the page
(PHP works in exactly this way).

Visitors with cookies will see:
  http://example.com/url

And visitors without will see:
  http://example.com/url?sessionID=oneOfThoseMicrosoftGUIDs

I'm not absolutely certain this is how ASP.NET does it, but I'll be amazed
if it's substantially different.

Cheers
Jon

To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:wdvltalk-join@;lists.wdvl.com