Hi Alida,

> And it certainly does look like they plan to replace br,
> but how do they expect it to be backwards compatable in
> older browsers then, I wonder?

They don't. It's not supposed to be. If you want your pages to work
backwards, write them to a doctype designed for that.

There's a long (and I mean *long*, or even longer) thread going on on
www-html about all these changes. Some of the relevant bits about <br> and
<l> can be found here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Jan/0175.html

In typical W3C mailing list style, it's lurching merrily all over the place
and has been hijacked about 50 times, but that's all part of the fun :-)

Cheers
Jon