Hi Stephen and List,
Thanks for pointing me to zoneedit.com ... it managed dns option looks about my speed. However, I have one more question that I'm hoping you or someone else can help me nail down:

If I'm reading the zoneedit instructions correctly, I can either use webforward (frames) to do a redirection or I can redirect all queries for bayesfold.com to our IP address. Unfortunately, what I'm looking to do is (without frames) to direct all queries to our domain to a particular *folder* on our web server ... that is, I want
bayesfold.com --> http://ourIP/Bayes/
not
bayesfold.com --> http://ourIP

If zoneedit can do this, could you clue me in as to how? If not, could someone chime in and tell me what voodoo I have to indulge in to make this possible?

Amanda,

Someone on this list (can't recall whom) did me the favor of pointing me at:
http://www.zoneedit.com
which offers a host of free DNS services, including managed DNS, which is what you are looking for. Their service is very easy to set up (I've been on it for around a month), free up to one million queries in a year, and is super consistent.
In case you would like to look into resolving your own DNS queries, I can let you know what I know... You'll need a seperate box, in a demilitarized zone on your network or outside of the network entirely, since in essence you will be exposing it to the world. On this box you'll need DNS resolution software. M$ 2k server has a DNS server built into it, but far and away the most used software for DNS is *nix based. The only *nix flavor I've any experience with is RedHat. With that particular flavor, it gives you options on install as to what you want to set the machine up for, one of the options being a DNS server. now, as far as configuring it... I'm no help.
The way DNS works is actually pretty neat, its essentially a world-wide distributed database that points people back through a chain of machines starting with a top level domain (i.e. .com, .net) and down through the hierarchy. e.g. a request is issued for www.example.com, first DNS is queried for the .com domain, which your DNS server resolves to say, Internic. It then queries Internic (or whomever) where to look for example.com, after finding that it goes to example.com and asks where www.example.com is. This whole process might involve as many as a dozen machines, all resolving to the next level in fractions of a second. ...well, its interesting to me anyway :^) I garnered a lot of this from this article:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
purty informative.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Stephen