None of the attachments come through in a form that can be executed. Even if
they weren't being quarantined by Zone Alarm, et. al. Outlook 2002-2003 all
put pif, exe, dll, com, mdb (that one kills me) under security level I
(which means they show up but can't be opened) by default. You have to
either hack the registry or use a third party tool to move them to level 2
(warning & prompt before you can open)

Like you I'm constantly amazed that people get infected. Several large
companies here (Texaco was one of them when my husband worked there) strip
ALL attachments except zip that require a password to open.

It isn't the different attachment name or as far as I can tell the content
of the email. I've had some caught in the spam filters that were identical
to those that made it through except for the sender. All I can think of is
that I had blacklisted the domain extensions that didn't get through at some
point in the past. I have a very large blocked sender list.

Just a little bit of common sense before clicking would stop most viruses
(viri?) in its tracks.

Cheryl D. Wise
Microsoft MVP
WiserWays, LLC