Browser-sniffed hot-swapped CSS files is probably overkill - if you're
careful you can fix the major inconsitencies between IE5.5 and IE6 at the
basic design/CSS level.

You can get around IE5.5 insane font size issues by specifying a 100% as the
font size for the body and then sizes in Em in further definitions in your
CSS. For example...

body {
    font: 100% Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

p, table {
    font-size: 0.85em;
}

That'll give you something like 11px font size at "medium" font-size and is
manageable at "large" and "larger". Now I will conceed that at "smallest"
it's teeny-tiny, but I've never encountered anybody who has things set that
small.

Another big difference you'll find between IE5.5 and IE6 is the CSS box
model, i.e. IE6 got it right. This means that any padding and borders you'll
add in your CSS will be IN ADDITION to any width or height sizes: For
example:

#mybox {
    width: 20px;
    padding: 5px;
    border: 1px solid #333;
}

will give you a box 32px wide in IE6 (the correct way - I personally think
W3C are wrong on this one, but who am I to argue). IE5.5 on the other hand
will still give you a 20px wide box, but a good 12px of the width will be
sucked up by padding and borders.

This also means that if you specify widths of 100% and still give padding
and borders then you'll end up with a width > 100% so watch your horizontal
scrollbars...

Two ways around this: don't specify padding and borders on elements that
need a specific width or use a box model hack.

Another thing: build your site in a fluid fashion, that way you're not
constrained to 800x600 and the page will nicely sort itself out should you
encounter somebody on the shop floor who's using a different resolution.

MOU