David wrote: Does this firm have brand marketing?  They may need to call
a professional marketing consultant. [...]  Professional services web
sites need more people working on them than just designers and
developers.  And they should definitely not write their own copy.

Tim: David, you made my day. LOL  :-)  They *did* hire a professional
marketing consultant (the guy I talked about above).  He's full-time
staff.  The majority of the text on the site is stuff he's written.
While I do get along reasonably well with him, his viewpoint on such
matters is different than mine...he tends to be verbose and uncritical
about his use of English (spelling, in particular) until I happen to
come across something on the site and mention it to him.

And now you've made my day. By 'hire', I meant 'engage on a contract'. No real marketing consultant is ever employed full-time by a client: they need to be out there working for different people so that they remain abreast of current trends and methods. As an example, look at all those internal marketing people who still haven't got their heads around web marketing. The only way that internal people know what is going on is to attend conferences, and that only gives them a surface understanding rather than a real knowledge of how to do it.

Internal marketing people are useful: they can act as guardians of an existing brand and an existing marketing style. But I would always get an external consultant in for anything innovative, such as a website.

The fact that your client is doing on their website what everyone else in their sector is doing on their websites speaks volumes to me about the quality of their marketing expertise.

Regards,
David

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.