From: Furry, Tim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wdvltalk] SharePoint as an intranet

Has anyone used Microsoft's Sharepoint 2003 to build an intranet?  I'm
not talking about the Team Services part, but the Portal.  It's being
"highly recommended" by powers that be that I use it to build a
replacement intranet for our company.

The more I research it the more it looks like a bad fit.  Our intranet
currently consists of things like: office information (addresses, etc.
for our three offices); human resources online forms (things like W-4
for taxes, etc.); lists of committee members, telephone numbers, boards,
etc.; introductory pages for new people; maps of the main office (we
have three floors of a large building); policies such as dress code,
assignment flow, etc.; office procedural guidelines; equipment manuals
for operating various office machines; a weekly newsletter; a small
application that the receptionists use to track where people are; and
access-limited links to various small apps that I've built.

SPS provides...er...um...document management and indexing (supposed to
be very good at this), list management (lists of links, lists of
announcements, lists of tasks, etc.), and...um...hmmm.  If you tack on
the Team Services part you can add more announcements, tasks, and a sort
of file storage that really stores things in a database (MSDE)...which
means if the MSDE corrupts (not likely, but still...) you can't recover
any of your files (unlike a real file system where you could probably
recover most of them if it corrupted).

I've been searching all morning for intranet solutions built on SPS but
am not having much luck finding anything where our model fits into their
model.  Is it just me, or is there a serious difference in how things
are set up?  I know I can convert all our forms, policies, maps, people
lists, etc. into documents and store them as documents, etc., but
doesn't that sort of end up like using a bulldozer to pull a weed?

*ANY* responses with any SPS exposure greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Tim

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____
To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email. To
change subscription settings to the wdvltalk digest version:

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%

To unsubscribe via postal mail, please contact us at: Jupitermedia Corp.