Cheryl wrote:
Its biggest advantage as far as I'm concerned is that if you have a
designer and developer working together the designer doesn't have to
even see much less be able to mess up the code when working on the page.

Scott wrote:
Hmm, OK. Wondered about that. I've got VS.NET 2003, but due to
exigencies of current projects, etc. haven't explored it. So, basically,
it's analogous to embedded javascript versus linked javascript, except
that the external reference is made inline instead of in the <head>?

Tim adds:
Cheryl's point about separation of tasks is one pushed by Microsoft, but
I think it's probably a rare instance where developers aren't putting in
the design elements themselves (i.e. probably only a really big company
might have separation of tasks).  Scott, your analogy is very close -
with the usually overlooked but important aspect that the "linked" code
is *strictly* code (the code-behind page, no HTML), and thus can be (and
is) compiled, with all the usual relevant goodies available (strong
typing, compile-time checking, debugging, speed, etc.).

That being said, I haven't really used .NET much yet other than simple
playing around, and being a Notepad webbie guy from way back, still find
it very difficult to think of web pages and sites in an object-oriented
way.  OOP makes perfect sense for a Windows app - it runs and runs and
keeps running until the job is done.  Web apps are different - post,
push, done; post, push, done - there's no real application continuity
(and that's the way it's supposed to be).  I think in general .NET for
webs ties the browser to the server much more tightly (i.e. onClicks hit
the server) and I'm not convinced that's a good thing.  I've worked on
one web app here at my new job where a former programmer wanted to move
the focus from a select box to a text box after a selection was made -
and ended up putting in a crazy freebie .NET page of code that hits the
server and reloads the page, rather than using just a line or two of
JavaScript on the client side to move the focus.

Tim
Tim Furry
Senior Systems Administrator
English Language Acquisition/Planning, Assessment and Research
Denver Public Schools
303.405.8163
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''